Monday, January 9, 2012

Tangerine Tango




As anyone in the design world knows by now,
the Pantone color for 2012 is Tangerine Tango.
I happened to read about it this week in the
New York Times. I am not in the know and
this process mystifies me. If you'd like to read
the article click on the link. Actually don't click
on the link because it won't take you there. Darn
it, I thought I'd figured that little tech bit out -where is
that twelve year old when I need her. Anyway
maybe the pseudo link will give you the clues
you need to find the article.

 http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/garden/qa-leatrice-eiseman-of-the-pantone-color-institute.html?scp=1

I won't go into all of the ins and outs of Pantone and how it
came to be the arbiter of setting the tone (literally)
for designers of all persuasions. I've done some research
and the whole thing is way too complicated for my
feeble mind.

I can tell you that Leatrice Eiseman who is the executive
director of the Pantone Color Institute heads the
committee that chooses the color of the year. She
explains the process as an effort to distill the pervasive,
societal mood into a single hue - a daunting task if
you ask me.




This committee seems to think that we need uplifting
hence the choice of Tangerine Tango which she
describes as "a spirited reddish orange, which
continues to provide the energy boost we need to
move forward."

I have a friend who is an orange-aholic who I know
will be thrilled. As for me it is a color that I cannot
wear - except on my toes . I do love the color in
flowers, nasturtiums  come to mind. Start looking
for tangerine tango geraniums, because in my
digging around I found the a website devoted to the flower and
they are definitely working on a tangerine tango
for this year ! Who knew that fashion extended
to flowers !








As for my friend ,who I know abandoned a failed orange
wall in her dining room,  she might now attempt it some place
else. The bedroom perhaps...probably not. It's one of those
colors you'd love to encounter in a spanish hotel for a few
days and then go home to something less inclined to make
one feel like a participant in an Almodovar film. Bottom
line from this blogger - I'm glad I'm going to see more of
this punchy color around . It's bold, fun and packs a
wallop - perfect for the new year that I've planned.