Friday, May 25, 2012
Wes Anderson
I have this current fascination with Wes Anderson.
He grew up in Houston and went to St. John's where some of my favorite people on the planet went to school. He went on to The University of Texas and "tried" being a philosophy major where he found that what he really liked was telling stories. He met Owen Wilson there and they became writing partners. Owen ended up getting so many acting jobs that he moved on from the co-writer role, but did star in
one of my favorite Anderson' movies, The Darjeeling Limited. I watched it again last night, and once again saw it as deeply funny, moving and in the end transcendent.
It is so visually arresting down to the smallest details. The sight gags are perfect, so dry and so funny.
It is a movie with a certain delicacy that I can't quite explain. You can see that same delicacy in the photo of Wes that I posted. It is touching and insightful with out ever being precious - a tough thing to pull off.
I absolutely can not wait to see his new movie Moonrise Kingdom.



