Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A brilliant design.







I was reading the Times on my ipad and came across this photo, which stopped me in my tracks. I was just blown away by the dynamic beauty of it. It was one of those little pleasures that made my day. I had no idea what it was when I first looked at it. What I found out upon reading the article is that it is a photograph depicting a stage set made to illustrate the T logo for the Times Magazine.

It was designed by Mary Howard who is a set designer and and art director. She has worked with Annie Leibovitz, Bruce Weber and Steven Klein to name a few. Here is the link for the Time's article which include a Q and A of her inspiration and process.

tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/trad-and-true/


She speaks about being inspired by the Dutch masters such as Vermeer, Van Eyck and Jan Weenix. I'd never heard of Weenix so I did a little research and found one of his paintings that might have served as inspiration for her work.